Tuesday 26 February 2013

"Tube London" by Rebecca Sams

I loved this book.

Every tube station in Zone 1 is described together with the history and notable features of its hinterland.

I thought I knew loads about London but I had never heard of the London Stone near Cannon Street. I had no idea how many ghost stations there were, nor how many had changed their names, nor how many had moved their entrances or were originally more than one station.

In short it was a fascinating mine of information.

I have two minor niggles and one major issue. The niggles are that some of the information is replicated on wikipedia; and that there is no index so it is very difficult to look things up.

The major issue is that this only covered zone 1. I want another book to cover the rest of the tube. Please!!!! Or I will have to write it myself.

Great fun. February 2013; 160 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment